PURPOSE OF FOUNDATION
Since the first half of the 1960s, the marine traffic has become very complicated as well as versatile along with the remarkable economic development of Japan. This has made the safety measures on the sea all the more important.
The ship equipment industry sector was then under pressure to establish the system of quality control, so that the reliabilities of products might be improved. The Ministry of Transport announced the policy to intensify and rationalize the system of approved factory or facility and the system of type approval, thereby consolidating the system of ship inspection.
Under such circumstances, the official and private sectors jointly promoted the establishment of an entity to promote ship machinery quality control. In July 1971 the Minister of Transport approved the establishment of the Japan Ship-Machinery Quality Control Association to meet such requirements.
PURPOSE OF ASSOCIATION
The purpose of SQCA is to contribute to securing the seaworthy state of ships and the safety of human lives on the sea by promoting improvement of quality control by the shipbuilding and the concerned industries of approved items and approved ship equipment. SQCA promotes the following works in order to achieve the above purpose.
(1) Works concerning the improvement of quality control by the approved factories or facilities.
(2) Works concerning the improvement of quality control by the factories or facilities which intend to be certified as approved factories or facilities.
(3) Works concerning the improvement of quality control by the factories or facilities which have acquired the type approval.
(4) Works concerning improvement of quality control by the factories or facilities which intend to acquire the type approval.
(5) Works concerning upgrading of technologies of the factories or facilities for maintaining life-rafts and the GMDSS lifesaving appliances.
(6) Research and studies on the quality control of approved items and type approved items, in-house inspection standards.
(7) Studies, tests and researches on the quality improvement of the approved items and approved ship equipment.
(8) Publication of concerned books and other materials.
(9) Other activities deemed necessary to accomplish the purpose of SQCA.